Need a car? RIT has partnered with Zipcar to bring self-service on-demand car sharing to campus.
What is Zipcar?
Beginning this semester, RIT will have two Zipcars on campus available for students, faculty and staff to use. Zipcar is a car sharing service that gives anyone 24/7 self-service access to vehicles that are parked nearby (in our case right by Grace Watson Hall). Zipcar has a ton to offer to its members:
- Self-service access to Zipcars 24/7
- Discounted hourly rates for faculty, staff and students age 18 and older
- Rates start at just $7.50/hour or $69/day
- Gas, insurance and maintenance are included
- Join for only $15 a year, and receive $35 in driving credit your first month
“I believe that we should offer our students as many options as possible other than bringing their own vehicle to campus,” said Director of Parking, Transportation and Building Services Randy Vercauteren. “Zipcar is a reasonable alternative for those who may only need a car occasionally.”
Learn more and get started! Visit Zipcar.com/RIT for exclusive promotions and discounts.
Are you an international student? Zipcar has your back. For more information on the documents needed to apply as an international student, click here.
Why choose Zipcar?
- Zipcar reduces congestion and parking demand. In fact, studies have shown that each Zipcar takes about 15 personally owned cars off the road.
- Zipcar reduces CO2 emissions. After joining, Zipcar members have been shown to reduce their mileage by an average of 40 percent.
- Zipcar saves users money. When you use Zipcar, you’re only paying for the time you need to use the car and don’t need to worry about the multiple additional costs associated with car ownership.
How soon is Zipcar coming to RIT?
Zipcar is expected to have their cars displayed on the east side of Gordon Field House during freshman move-in (August 18th).
How to use Zipcar:
- Join today at Zipcar.com/RIT
- Reserve a car online or on your phone for as little as an hour or up to 7 days.
- Wave your unique Zipcard in front of the windshield to unlock the doors (The keys are already in the car).
- Drive away (Just make sure to return the car at the end of your reservation).
- Remember: Gas, Insurance and Maintenance are included!
“Zipcar has proven to be a reliable and viable car share provider for colleges and universities across the nation. I am pleased that RIT is joining the list of universities offering this option to our campus community,” expresses Vercauteren.